Buncombe County Schools has partnered with A Caring Alternative, Inc. to offer the Program for Academic and Social Success, a.k.a. 'The PASS Program'. As expressed in the original mission statement for the program: The PASS Program at Community High School, in conjunction with parent/guardian involvement and support, will assist our consumers in developing necessary behavior management skills so that they may develop self-discipline, social skills and academic skills. PASS Program teachers, staff and support personnel will utilize relevant, kind and least-restrictive interventions to assist our clients and their families in achieving their individual goals and personal growth.
And to quote from the introduction letter addressed to parents and students, “Our goal within the program is to provide the supports needed to realize aspirations and achievements necessary to lead a healthy and fulfilling life. Some of our most important core values are being strength and solution focused, giving and receiving direct and honest feedback and working together to create a positive and therapeutic learning environment.”
PASS Program Rules and Expectations 2016-17
1. Adhere to all Buncombe County School rules and policies.
2. Enter PASS classroom as soon as you arrive at Community High School. Students are not allowed in Community High School without PASS Staff present.
3. Respect yourself and others.
4. Ask permission.
5. Communicate effectively.
6. Accept responsibility.
7. Respect school property and the property of other students and staff.
9. Food, gum, candy, outside beverages are not permitted in class unless provided by staff or unless special
permission is given.
10. Don’t be afraid to ask for help!
11. The following items are not permitted in the PASS Program classroom:
· video games
· hip bags
· hats, bandanas, doo rags, hoodies pulled up to cover your head
· clothing with holes, rips or tears
· clothing with inappropriate content (i.e.: If it’s an illegal or inappropriate activity or substance for someone
under the age of 21, then do not wear anything that advertises or promotes that activity or item. Sexually
explicit graphics or illustrations are not permitted.)
· tank tops or shirts with spaghetti straps Straps must be at least as wide as a regular-sized credit card.
· short shorts or short skirts/dresses Apply to fingertip rule: hems must be at least as long as your extended
fingertips with your arms fully dropped to your sides.
· tops that do not fully cover chest and stomach.
Check the dress code regulations or ask one of the teachers or staff if you have any questions.
Note: All cell phones, IPods, MP-3 players, headphones, etc. are expected to be turned in to PASS Staff at the beginning of the school day. These will be securely stored and returned to students at the end of the day.
As always, please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions, comments or concerns. PASS Program teachers and staff can be reached by calling (828) 686-7734 x. 519.
* Eric Carpenter, PASS ACA Therapeutic Staff Lead
* Sara Simpson, PASS ACA Therapeutic Staff
* Laura Miracle, PASS ACA Therapeutic Staff
* ________________, PASS ACA Therapeutic Staff
* Holly LeBlanc, PASS ACA Staff Therapist
* Dean Presson, Language Arts/Math Teacher firstname.lastname@example.org
* Susan Morris, PASS EC/Social Studies/Science Teacher email@example.com
Additionally, you may reach Shanon Martin, Day Treatment Liaison for Buncombe County Schools at (828) 776-1505 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.